Richard has been working in the field of human services for 40 years and is motivated by; making a difference, challenging mediocrity, encouraging excellence and helping individuals, groups and organisations be the best they can.
Richard brings a wide range of knowledge and skill, from the Government and non-Government arenas, with practical client experience, policy, procedure, standards and evaluation. He has the experience of program budgeting, financial management and accountability, staff leadership, management and supervision.
Richard has also been successful as a facilitator, working with large groups of Government employees, national non-Government organisations and community groups.
Important to Richard is client focus, program integrity and quality improvement which has been demonstrated by him in all aspects of his work.
- My professional career in the Human Services field began in South Australia during 1973 as a member of the first intake of trainees for the Department of Community Welfare Residential Care Training program. Until 1976 I worked in various closed and community institutions for young offenders and finished my employment with the Department as a senior group worker.
- In 1976 until 1980 I worked with the Adelaide Central Missions intensive family support program and was the Director of that program for 2 years.
- From 1980 until 1990 I worked with Anglican Community Services, first as Supervisor of St Marys Home for Children and progressed to Director of Services.
- In 1991 I took up the post of managing the Glenorchy Local office for the Department of Community Services in Tasmania, and in 1993 I was appointed as State Manager for Child Protection and Domestic Violence and between 1995 and 1997 I held various head office senior manager positions.
- Between 1997 and 2007 I operated my own consultancy businesses and between 2000 and 2005 was the joint owner/Director of the largest private child care provider in Tasmania.
- During 2007 I took up the position of Divisional Manager of Oak Lifestyle Choices and in 2009 I was appointed as State Manager for Life Without Barriers (LWB), a position I held for two years prior to making a lifestyle choice, opting for part time work in my current business.
Community and Professional Involvement
Below is a partial list of the organisations and activities that I have participated in.
- Commonwealth Schools Commission – Children in Residential Institutions Sub Committee (Sth Aust) Member: 1985 – 1990
- Ministerial Appointee to the Substitute Care Advisory Committee, Member: 1986-1990 and Deputy Chair 1988-1990.
- Child, Adolescent & Family Health Services – Ethics Committee, Member: 1987-1990
- South Australian Institute of Technology – Social Work Dept Academic Course Preparation Committee, Member: 1987-1990
- South Australian College of Advanced Education – Course Accreditation Committee – Family Counselling & Parent Training Post Graduate Diploma, Member, 1989
- Member of the Australian Institute of Management 1991 – 2003
- Member of National Association for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (NAPCAN) 1989 – 2002, having served as both State and National President
- Member of the Committee to implement the recommendations of the Tasmanian Department of Community & Health Services Paediatric Services Review Report. 1993 – 1995
- Member of the Good Beginnings committee of management, 1997 – 1999
- Member of the Early Childhood Support Group, Bridgewater, 1998 – 2003
- Member of the Jordan Cluster Group, representing the Early Childhood Support Group, 2000 – 2003
- Chair of the ‘Including Children With Challenging Behaviours Pilot Program, 2000
- Member of the Children and Young Persons Advisory Council, working with the Office of the Commissioner for Children. 2001
- Member of the Secretary’s Advisory Panel (Dept Health & Human Services), established under the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1997. 2001
- Member of GAIN (Glenorchy Action Inter Agency Network), 2001 to 2010 and inaugural member of a GAIN sub group, Dads Day Out, a group looking at the issues of parenting for dads in the Glenorchy area. 2001- 2010
- Member of the Commissioner for Children’s Adult Advisory Group 2004 – 2011
- Member of ASSID (Australasian Society for the Study into Intellectual Disability) 2007-2011 and chair of the awards sub-committee
- Member of the Guiding Network, joint Department, Industry, RTO and client committee addressing the issues of recruitment and retention of staff in the disability sector, and chair of the working group advising on training course content 2010 -11
- Member of NDS (National Disability Services) 2007 – 2011